Google

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Things That Bug Me, 2007 Edition, pt. 1

So yeah, being a normal human being, there are occasionally some things that urke me to some degree. And since this is my blog, my solitary place to bitch about those things, here is the beginning of my list for this year...

THINGS THAT BUG ME, PART 1:

STEM CELL RESEARCH OPPONENTS. - Look, I understand your argument people, it's the same bullshit you've been using against Roe Vs. Wade since the early 70's... "Every embryo is a life, every life is sacred, every life desecrated is murder."

Okay, so first off... and I've made mention of this in previous blogs, but please, right now tell me, how many of you people are pro-death penalty?

Yeah, that's what I thought. Fucking hypocrites.

Anyway, your big issue, the major problem you have with stem cell research is that it "destroys life," it destroys embryos. Now let me ask you this; do you have any comprehension about the type of embryos we're talking about here? We're not talking about embryos taken from women trying to conceive, we're talking about embryos created in a lab for no purpose other than research. They are nothing more than a small group of cells. And they get thrown out when unused after a period of time.

Taking this into account, your logic also suggests that we shouldn't eat yogurt, as yogurt is created by bacteria, and thusly holds living cells in it. And it gets thrown out when it's no good as well.

And let me ask you this question; being a male in my late 20's, I have a tendency to masturbate. As most males do, from the age of 13 up until... well, christ, I won't know until I get there, but we're talking 60's, 70's at the least. So now tell me, considering each ejaculation I perform upon myself carries thousands of living sperm out into the open, to die within seconds... does this make me a murderer?

But I digress...

EMO KIDS BUYING RECORDS. - Look, here's the deal... I love records. I love vinyl. I love the feeling of putting a needle in the groove, hearing that slight scratch emanate through the speakers, and feeling the first song on my record come to life.

But I also only love that feeling when it's real.

Here's what I mean: Up until a few years ago (like, ten or fifteen), most recordings were made in an analog style, usually onto tape. These tapes were then mastered, and copied onto a number of different sources... a couple decades ago, they'd be put onto a master record, from which all copies would be printed from. Or there would be a master tape, which carried the 8-track or cassette recordings. But then, towards the mid-80's, there was suddenly a master CD.

And the CD was digital. It couldn't hold all the nuances the analog recording did, as it was stuck with a specific bit rate, a specific bandwidth of frequency it could hear. So the earliest recordings on digital media sounded tinny, and never had the warmth of the analog masters. And vinyl fans rejoiced, and spoke down about this new media, that couldn't possibly ever carry the true vibe of the music that they loved so much.

But as the years went by, digital media grew into higher standards, and higher quality. And the recording industry caught on, and suddenly, everything was being mastered digitally. All recording studios started recording artists onto a high-frequency digital medium. And analog was a thing of the past.

But hark! What is this I hear? The kids of the next generation actually listened when their parents talked about how wonderful analog vinyl was, and now they're willing to pay through the nose to buy vinyl copies of their current favorite band's albums?!

And they don't pay any attention to the fact that they're listening to digital media on an analog source?!

Here's the long and short of it; the earliest CDs, the ones made up until somwhere in the late 90's, carry a code on them, usually the letters "AAD." What that stands for is "Analog Analog Digital." Basically, an Analog master created an Analog source, which was then recorded onto Digital media. And quality was lost between the analog and digital.

Nowadays, CDs no longer have that label, as everything is made from digital sources. But now, explain to me, how a Digital master, to a Digital source, recorded to Analog media (records), is going to be any good? I mean, how much of your digital signal is lost recording to an analog source? And how much more will be lost as your vinyl degrades under the needle?

This is why I think the Emo kids buying records are idiots... their record collections will never sound as good as the digital masters.

But I guess that's something else for them to be despondent about...

(End of Part One.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home