Google

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Different strokes...

It's strange how sometimes we never realize how incredibly boring we as human beings can be. Our differences make us unique, our interests make us different. Yet a lot of times, the things that we find fascinating as individuals are completely snooze-worthy to others.

Tonight, I was watching Robert Rodriguez's 15-Minute Film School, included on the second disc of the new Sin City DVD set, and while I was incredibly intrigued by everything he had to say, I started wondering to myself, "what would someone who could care less about comic books and greenscreen be thinking to themselves while watching this? How fast would they fall asleep?" Now, Rodriguez is a genius at making even the most boring of film processes sound entertaining, yet still, one must have at least some sort of interest in it to make it enjoyable.

I hearken back to when I was in high school, and the lectures we would get in different classes. Sometimes, I was fascinated; my ears were always completely attuned to whatever my history teachers would be saying, and I couldn't stop raising my hand to comment on whatever piece of literature we'd be studying in English class. Yet it was rare that my chemistry notes weren't covered in doodles, and it was even more unlikely that I'd be able to keep my head away from the cold comfort of my desk during a geometry lesson.

As my Myspace readers are well aware of from my previous blogs there, I tend to be something of a pop culture fanatic. I eat 80's music, I drink video games, I sleep crappy television shows. And while I can drone on and on about the merits of Starsky & Hutch and the hidden talents of Falco, I sometimes wonder, just how much am I boring the person listening to me?

Don't get me wrong, I can have fascinating conversations about politics, I can wax nonstop about religion, I can definitely carry myself when it comes to deep and meaningful topics. But even then, one needs an ear open to that kind of thing, and frankly, if I'm talking to a racing fanatic about McCarthyism, there's a good chance they're not going to stay interested for very long. Of course, on the other hand, I'm only going to stay awake listening to stories about legends of NASCAR for a very short period of time.

So as human beings, we need conversation, we need to feel that we're not alone in this world, and so we tend to surround ourselves with people of the same ilk, the same upbringing, the same mindsets. Actors hang out with actors, musicians hang out with musicians, doctors and lawyers make friends with their same breed. Sometimes I wonder if the real reason behind problems with race relations nowadays isn't because of racism, but because different races have different cultures, and as such, it's sometimes difficult to see eye to eye on a number of things, not because of color, but because of surroundings.

Of course, that theory gets shot to hell the minute one takes into account that white people have all the money, thereby enforcing neighborhood segregation.

But really, how many problems in our country today are caused because of this need to be comfortable in our surroundings? How much better would our little world be, if say, Republicans made friends with Democrats? If Christians hung out with Muslims? How many problems of society could be cured if people would look outside the box, and realize that outside of their little worlds, there are differences of opinion?

Right now, we live in a country controlled by religious extremists, right-wingers that only see things from their own personal viewpoints. We have rich people pretending to know what poor people need, we have fundamentalist Christians who think they know what's best for a Muslim country. We have them sending out Martha Stewart clones like Karen Hughes to preach their brand of democracy to a people whose culture reflects very little of that. And then they wonder why their ideals aren't immediately accepted.

You know why I'm pro-choice? Not because I necessarily believe that abortion is a good thing; frankly, I see it as an extreme last resort. But the fact is, pro-choice is not pro-death, it's pro-choice. I've seen people have abortions because an accident happened, and there's no way that the consequences of that action would be good for anyone, primarily the unborn child. And I've seen abortions happen as a form of birth control. I believe in that first example, and I detest the second. But regardless, the important thing to me is that the choice is there.

As much as I hate the fact that abortion rights give people like the ones in the second example an excuse to be stupid, I thank God that those same rights afford the people from the first example an option for their lives not to be ruined, and for another life not to be created, only to be thrown away. On that same note, I hate the fact that a group like the KKK even exists, but I'm thankful that such a hateful extremist group is allowed the freedom to express their beliefs.

The fact is, no matter your interests, no matter your beliefs, there are always many people that agree, and many people that don't. While it's safe to wrap yourself up in your own little world, and pay no attention to the people behind the curtain, they're there. And they'll always be there. And they have just as much right to believe in whatever they believe as you do.

So I'll keep on talking about Falco. And if you're not interested, that's quite all right. As long as you let me be entitled to my opinion.

Note: I had no idea this blog would get so philosophical, I started it with the intent of making a joke about boring conversations. My apologies.

3 Comments:

Blogger Midlife Virgin said...

If only it were that easy - I totally agree with you on many of your points and find myself frustrated that we can't accept the fact that everyone is different. And, by the way, you can talk to me about Falco any time.

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, dude? Why are you apologizing about making a long post, IN YOUR OWN BLOG!?!?!?!

Eddie

3:50 PM  
Blogger sonycmyst said...

Right on, Damian.

ps--in your case, the longer the post, the better...

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home